"Food is essential to Life; therefore make it good."- S Truett Cathy

Friday, April 8, 2011

G is for Green Smoothies

The first time I read about putting greens into a smoothie it was in a Saving Dinner newsletter. Yuck! I thought to myself. Then when I joined my CSA I found myself with an abundance of greens and no idea how to cook or eat them. I grew up in the midwest and we used to joke that my Mom's four food groups were canned, frozen, take out and leftovers:) Our veggie  repertoire was pretty much green beans, potatoes, corn, broccoli and the occasional pea. We definitely never ate greens outside of salad which was iceberg lettuce and sometimes raw baby spinach. 


I quickly learned that I do enjoy greens when sauteed in olive oil with garlic and I love a bok choy recipe that I found in one of my cookbooks that gives it the asian flavors of ginger and soy with an apricot kick. But you can only cook greens so many ways before you start to get bored. For Christmas my husband bought me a Ninja blender. It is so cool, it has three blades instead of one! So I started making smoothies much more often. 

The first time I tried a green smoothie was this recipe. So delicious!!


Today I wanted to make a green smoothie but was out of the ingredients from last time so decided to experiment. Turned out pretty tasty! And it really does give you an energy boost.


Banana Coconut Green Smoothie
2 ripe bananas - frozen will make a thicker smoothie
1 cup frozen peaches
1/2 cup dried unsweetened coconut flakes
2 large handfulls Kale leaves (washed and stripped from the stems)
16 oz water
1 Tbsp fiber supplement (I use PaleoFiber) - this is optional but we all could use a bit more fiber :)
1 Tbsp Honey (also optional but I like mine a little sweet) 


Method- I learned the hard way to get my liquid going first and then add the other ingredients, tends to help the machine not get bogged down. I added my water, coconut and fiber first, ran it on high about 30 seconds to get the coconut pulverized. Then I added the bananas and blended them in. With the machine running I drop in the frozen peaches a few a time and then stopped the machin, scraped down the sides and added the kale leaves. Then I blend it for another minute or so on high until the kale is thoroughly mixed in.  I added a bit of honey at the very end just to up the sweetness.  This made two smoothies. 


No comments:

Post a Comment