"Food is essential to Life; therefore make it good."- S Truett Cathy

Thursday, April 28, 2011

W is for Waldorf Salad

My Grandmother on my Dad's side was a really good cook. There are a few dishes that always remind me of her and one is Waldorf salad. It's a pretty basic recipe which many people make but hers was always the best. I made it last night so my girls could enjoy it.

Waldorf Salad
1 head lettuce chopped
2 apples chopped
2-3 stalks celery chopped
1/2 c chopped walnuts
*add cherries (optional)
Mix all ingredients in large bowl and top with Dressing: mayo sweetened with just a tad of sugar. I don't have the exact measurements- we used about 1/2cup mayo & 2 tbsp sugar. You want enough to coat everything but not be drowning in it. Start with less than you think and add as you stir. Chill well. Enjoy:)

*when I asked my Aunt for Grandma's recipe she found written in the book: add cherries. None of us remember her ever actually doing this, perhaps next time cherries are in season I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment