"Food is essential to Life; therefore make it good."- S Truett Cathy

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Q & R together: Quinoa pilaf & Roasted Garlic Chicken with Lemon

Tonight I decided to tackle Q & R both in our dinner as last night we were out on the town.
I had already decided that Q would be for Quinoa as I had some in the pantry and my other choice, Quince was $5. I am cheap sometimes :)
Both were throw it together recipes based on others I've read or previously made.
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Lemon
3 bone in chicken breasts
2 lemons sliced thinly
15-20 cloves of garlic
Salt & Pepper
Olive oil
Heat oven to 425
Place a roasting pan with a few tbsp of olive oil in the oven to get hot.
Once the pan is hot, place the chicken(seasoned with salt & pepper) in skin side down. Layer lemon slices on the chicken and surround with the garlic. Douse with more olive oil to coat the cloves & a bit on the chicken (maybe 1/4 cup total). Seal with foil and roast 15 minutes. Turn the oven down to 350 and continue to roast for 45 minutes to an hour.
Remove from oven & let rest 5-7 minutes. Slice & serve with a drizzle of the pan juices. Smear the garlic on bread- yummm. I saved the roasted garlic in the fridge to use later in the week.

Quinoa Pilaf
1/2 onion finely chopped
3 stalks celery, finely chopped
3 small carrots, finely chopped
1 cup frozen corn kernals
2 cups cooked Quinoa
2 tbsp butter
Juice & zest of one lemon
Salt, pepper

Cook Quinoa according to package directions or in your rice cooker (1 c quinoa to 2 c water/broth)

Saute the veggies in melted butter until softened and starting to brown a bit. Season with salt/pepper, lemon zest & juice. Fold in quinoa, taste & adjust seasoning.

1 comment:

  1. I love quinoa...and I love how good it is for you! I'm always looking for new, simple recipes that use quinoa because I don't especially like it plain. ;) This looks delicious!

    Carla

    ReplyDelete