"Food is essential to Life; therefore make it good."- S Truett Cathy

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

K is for Kolaches

Living in central Texas, we've come to love the czech pastry known here as kolaches. They come in many varieties, both sweet & savory. I love the sausage & jalapeno and sausage with cheese. Fruit filled varieties are also great with coffee. The dough is the key, light & fluffy, yeasty & on the sweet side. It's really hard to understand their glory until you taste one.

With so many great outlets to get them locally I had never yet tried to make them at home until tonight. As I pondered a K post it was the first thing that came to mind so I started looking around the web for recipes.

I found several but this one from the homesick texan sounded the most promising, plus I found a new blog to add to my reader!

The only changes I made was starting with 1 cup of whole wheat flour for the first step as I was out of all purpose. While it was rising I ran to the store for more flour :) I also had to bake for more like 20- 22 minutes to get them browned.

Also instead of the fruit filling in the recipe I made a pumpkin/cream cheese filling because I had cans of pumpkin on hand. I made a combo of half pumpkin and half sausage. For the sausage ones we used little smokies because the kids love them :)

Pumpkin filling for 8-10 kolaches

1/2 pkg cream cheese softened
2 tbsp sugar
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 tbsp flour
1/2 can pumpkin

Cream together cr. cheese & sugar, add remaining ingredients & mix well.

Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment